Aditya Puri, Longest-Serving Head Of Indian Private Bank
Who is Aditya Puri?
Aditya Puri is a leader who has served his fair share in different roles in his career but he is most recognised as the longest-serving head of a private bank in India as he led HDFC bank in the role of CEO and Managing Director of HDFC Bank since 1994.
What did the ex-MD of HDFC bank, Aditya puri studied?
Born in Gurdaspur District of Punjabi, North Indian state of India, Aditya studied at Punjabi University and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Commerce. He, then, qualified as Chartered Accountant with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.
What was the journey like for four decades in the banking sector?
As we shared above, this leader indeed has taken various roles, here’s a timeline of Aditya Puri’s journey:
- 1992: He became CEO of Citibank, Malaysia.
- 1994: He returned to India as Managing Director of HDFC Bank and led the brand for decades.]
- 2000: He supervised HDFC’s acquisitions which included acquiring Times Bank.
- 2008: He also supervised the acquisition of Centurion Bank of Punjab in 2008. He earned CNN-IBN Indian Businessman of the Year 2008.
- 2013: The man received Best Executive in India – Asiamoney, Banker of the Year 2013 – Business Standard, Best CEO – Institutional Investor, Top Achiever – Sunday Standard Best Banker Awards, and Best Executive in India – Asia Money 2013Best Banker – FE.
- 2015: Best CEO Award – Business Today, Business Leader of the Year – AIMA Managing India Awards 2015, World’s 30 Best CEOs – Barron’s, and Best CEO- Finance Asia poll on Asia’s Best Companies 2015.
- 2016: He became the only Indian to feature in Fortune’s Businessperson of the Year list, Best CEO: Institutional Investor All-Asia Executive Team ranking 2016, and Outstanding Business Leader of the year-CNBC-TV18 India Business Leader Awards (IBLA) 2015-16. He received FE Lifetime Achievement Award from Financial Express and got featured in Barron’s World’s Top 30 CEOs.
- 2018: Barron’s Top 30 Global CEOs and was also named one of the “Best CEOs in the World” by the CEOWORLD magazine.
- 2019: He reportedly became the most highly paid CEO of any Indian bank with a monthly salary of ₹89 lakh (US$120,000). He reached milestones of QIMPRO Platinum Standard Awards 2019 – National Statesman for Quality in Business, “Corporate and Philanthropic leadership Award” by American Indian Foundation”, and “AIMA – JRD TATA Corporate Leadership Award” by the AIMA.
- 2020: He earned a place in Induction in Chartered Accountants Hall of Fame. He officially stepped down from his position in HDFC Bank on 26th October 2020. Sashidhar Jagdishan took charge as the chief executive officer (CEO) of HDFC Bank from 27 October 2020
Is Amrita Puri and Aditya Puri related?
Amrita Puri is the daughter of HDFC Bank CEO Mr. Aditya Puri who made her Bollywood debut with Sonam Kapoor starring romantic comedy-drama Aisha and gained extreme popularity. Aditya also has a son Amit Puri and a cousin Bharat Puri who is MD of Pidilite Industries and Ex CMD of Cadbury India.