Best Books to read before they turn into Hollywood movies
If you are one of those people who prefers to read a book before it’s adapted into a movie or television show, get ready to read to your heart’s content this spring, because, some of the biggest Hollywood movies being released in 2020 are literary adaptations.
While there are a few standouts like The Graduate, The Devil Wears Prada, Brokeback Mountain and The Godfather that made more of an impression as movies than books, more often than not, the book is more impactful. So, this spring, devote your weekends to reading some of these titles before they become highly anticipated movies:
- The Aftermath by Rhidian Brook
What’s It About: This historical thriller, set among the post-war ruins of Germany, tells an enthralling tale of love, betrayal, retribution, and forgiveness. It follows the story of Colonel Lewis and his wife Rachel who are forced to share a house with its previous owners, a German widower, and his troubled daughter.
- Movie Cast: Keira Knightley, Alexander Skarsgård, Jason Clarke
- Movie Release Date: 15th March 2020 (USA)
- The Best of Enemies: Race and Redemption in the New South by Osha Gray Davidson
What’s It About: The Best of Enemies is based on the real-life friendship of C.P. Ellis, a member of the Ku Klux Klan and Ann Atwater, a single mother and civil rights activist. The book offers a vivid depiction of a relationship between a white man and a black woman that defied all odds and flourished against the backdrop of South’s ruthless bigotry and unyielding power structure.
- Movie Cast: Sam Rockwell, Taraji P. Henson, Wes Bentley
- Movie Release Date: 5th April 2020 (USA)
- Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
What’s It About: Where’d You Go, Bernadette is a comic caper about an agoraphobic MacArthur-winning former architect, Bernadette, and her gutsy teenaged daughter, Bee’s determination to find her when she goes missing before a family vacation.
- Movie Cast: Cate Blanchett, Judy Greer, Kristen Wiig, Billy Crudup
- Movie Release Date: 9th August 2020 (USA)
- Three Seconds by Anders Roslund and Borge Hellström
What’s It About: Dark, edgy and intriguing, Three Seconds captures a heinous world of violence and betrayal of Scandinavian crime. The novel cross-cuts between several gripping characters, including Ewert Grens – a police detective, Piet Hoffman – a criminal who has become a double agent, Erik Wilson – his handler and Lars Ågestam – a public prosecutor.
- Movie actors: Ana de Armas, Rosamund Pike, Joel Kinnaman
- Movie Release Date: 16 August 2020 (USA)
- The Woman in the Window
What’s It About: The Woman in the Window is a clever, sophisticated, powerful and twisty novel about Anna Fox, an agoraphobic woman living in New York City. She spends her time drinking wine and spying on her neighbors. But when one night, looking out her window, Anna witnesses something she shouldn’t have As her world begins to crumble, she has to figure out what’s real and what’s not. Because in this diabolically gripping novel, nothing is what it seems.
- Movie Cast: Amy Adams, Wyatt Russell, Gary Oldman
- Movie Release Date: 4th October 2020 (USA)
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
What’s It About: This 2014 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel tells the story of Theo Decker, a thirteen-year-old boy, who is sent to live with an affluent family in Park Avenue after his mother’s death. Bullied by his schoolmates and agonized by his unbearable longing for his mother, Theo is captivated by a painting that eventually draws him into the underworld of art.
- Movie Cast: Nicole Kidman, Sarah Paulson, Finn Wolfhard
- Movie Release Date: 11 October 2020 (USA)
- The Good Liar by Nicholas Searle
What’s It About: Roy, an elderly con man who has lived all his life, is about to pull off his last con by duping Betty, a wealthy widow he meets online. Told backward in time, the novel reveals long-held secrets with the turn of every page.
- Movie actors: Helen Mirren, Ian McKellen, Russell Tovey
- Movie Release Date: 15 November 2020 (USA)
- The Rhythm Section by Mark Burnell
What’s It About: After her family dies in a plane crash caused by an act of terrorism, Stephanie Patrick joins an extremely covert intelligence organization. The Rhythm Section is not just a thriller about a terrorist hunt, it is also about a catastrophic crisis of identity that Stephanie goes through while attempting to reclaim herself.
- Movie actors: Blake Lively, Jude Law, Sterling K. Brown
- Movie Release Date: 22 November 2020 (USA)
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
What’s It About: This classical feminist novel by Louisa May Alcott follows the journey of the March sisters – Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy – as they come into womanhood and learn about love, loss, and motherhood.
- Movie Cast: Meryl Streep, Emma Watson, Timothée Chalamet, Saoirse Ronan, Laura Dern
- Movie Release Date: 25th November 2020 (USA)