How Comfortable Office Chairs can help enhance your overall health
A chair is one important piece of furniture that you will ever find in an office. This equipment will be used for a long period every day. Just like a good pillow or mattress, you should choose a chair with utmost care as it will have a direct or indirect impact on your overall well being.
An uncomfortable chair might cause problems like back pain or muscle stress for a longer period. Purchasing a cheap and uncomfortable chair might save you some money now but will affect you in the long term. So, you require a comfortable and relaxing office chair as the office is a place where you are going to spend major proportion of your life, therefore; it is your responsibility to make sure that you sit on a good quality chair. Good ergonomic chairs are one of the best investments you can make in your health, productivity, and general well-being.
There are people who are suffering from lower back pain for a long time and they cannot do anything to improve their condition. It is advisable for them to switch their chair and adjust it according to their need. By sitting in the right position your lower back issue will be solved within a few months. There are several adjustable and reliable chairs that you can use in your office but before that do you know what to look for in a comfortable ergonomic chair?
Below we have summarized the most important features when it comes to getting an ergonomic office chair:
- Comfortable fitting – Looking at the lifestyle of most of the people, there is a desperate need for anatomically-correct chair having a design that can adjust to your natural spine curvature and avoid back pains and stiffness.
- Back Support – This is the most demanded feature in a chair by millennial. A cushioned yet fixed back support can decrease the chances of you having a back pain which automatically allows you to move freely and encourages a good posture.
- Adjustable lumbar pads – The lower part of your back is known as lumbar area and it is the most affected area due to bad posture. Having lumbar pads can increased support for your lumbar area and can adjust to your body structure.
- Adaptable armrests –Armrests are an important part of a chair therefore, it needs to be comfortable all the time as it not only supports your upper back but your shoulders as well.
- Seat tilting – This feature of a chair offers excellent support and promotes a healthy posture whether you’re tilting back or leaning forward.
- Overall adjustability – You need a wide range of adjustments for the seat depth and height, armrests and headrest to ensure the chair offers dynamic support.
- Easy locking mechanism – It is one of the important feature to look for in a n office chair as it allows you to adjust the height accordingly. Once you make the adjustments, you want your chair to have an easy lock-in.
- Padding – Less padding makes the chair feel hard, but too much padding gives you backaches. It is wise to look for firm and adjustable office chair that promotes natural movements.
- Headrest – Having an adjustable headrest can lower your neck stiffness and upper back pain by taking the pressure off your neck.
- Substance – It is important that you choose the right material for the chair like polyurethane which is one of the breathable and durable substances.
- Base – Having a strong base can make your chair overall strong to handle any kind of weight. The base should be dependable, tough that can make your office chair more stable and can increase the overall life you the chair. It might be on the higher side of the price but it will be worth your money.
- Pivot movement – Pivot movement is the most important feature in an office chair. This movement allows you to turn your chair around effortlessly and speak to your colleague or get something at your work station.
- Easy-to-Reach handles – This handle will help you to easily adjust your position without any inconvenience.
- Curved seat front – Having a well-curved seat can automatically reduce knee pain because your legs wrap comfortably on the seat.
- Warranty – Always ensure that the chair you are purchasing have some kind of warranty. A good warranty over 5 or 10 years proves the chair is durable.
Harmful Effects of Bad Posture While Sitting
- Poor circulation to the brain
If you are currently reading this on your Smartphone or desktop then take a moment to notice how you are feeling. If you have a bad posture then there is a strong possibility that you might be feeling a bit foggy or you are unable to generate new ideas.
Well, that same feeling can be an effect of the lack of nutrition but according to a research done by University of San Francisco; students who were slouching or have a bad posture have less energy because of reduced blood circulation. There are many negative effects of weak blood circulation as it can severely damage many parts of your body due to the pressure point caused by slouching.
Extra pressure on your spine or vertebrae in the neck is the reason behind weak blood circulation to your brain. According to many studies, leaning your head forward even 30 degrees can add as much as 18 KGs of pressure on the neck. It requires conscious efforts to make sure you are not slouching or leaning your head forward too much.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
So, you are asking how a bad posture can affect your wrist. Well, it is simple as the functions of arms and wrist are controlled by the nerves in your neck and upper back.
According to definition, carpal tunnel syndrome is numbness, tingling, and weakness in your hand due to increased and sustained pressure on the median nerve in your wrist. Let’s understand it scientifically, whenever you slouch, you push the pressure points or the vertebrae in your neck. The vertebrae of your neck are connected with the nerves in your neck and upper back and your upper back area is connected to your shoulders, elbows, wrists and ultimately overall hand. A chain reaction begins when you slouch too much as it increases the pressure on your neck. These negative effects include tingly elbows, wrists, hands, and ultimately, carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Effects your Digestion Function
Yes, bad sitting posture can have a huge impact on your digestion system, but how? Now you know that a bad posture can push your pressure points so if you stop and think about it, this seems pretty obvious. Just like it affects your blood circulation system, it also affects your digestion system. While you droop, a bunch of your organs droop together, just like an accordion which ultimately a type of jam in your stomach and intestines and there’s a stoppage, there’s blockage. It is said that most of the problems originate from the stomach area, so it is your responsibility to take care of it. To improve your digestion, you need to be conscious about your posture at least after an hour of your meal as it allows your system to process all the nutrition you ate.
- Increased Fatigue
If you ever feel that sitting upright is hard then you should know that to slouch when you sit is way more dangerous. If you droop too often then the muscles of your neck and back will be worn and tired as they are not designed to slouch. Due to this physical stress, you will feel fatigue in your neck and back muscles leading to tenderness and pain. It also affects the blood circulation as discussed earlier a weak blood flow is one of the major enemies of your health, the decreased circulation will lead you to be inactive and weak. Next time when you feel tender in your upper back then just have a brisk walk for 5 minutes as it will make you feel rejuvenated.
- Negative Mood
It is scientifically proven that people who have a drooping posture are more likely to be under confident and suffer from fear and anxiety. As we discussed in above point that a bad posture can make you feel fatigue which has a direct impact on your mood. So, sit up, shake off the laze and watch your life transform along the way.
If you have to work 8+ hours in an office and you are not maintaining a good sitting posture then it will seriously affect your overall health. You should consider switching your old chair to a new and comfortable one as it can help you to avoid bad posture to a great extent. Now you are aware of the problems and their solutions as well so, it’s time for you to take charge of yourself and correct your posture.