31 PARALLEL, AN ENDEAVOUR PUTTING SHIMLA ON INDIAN OUTSOURCING LANDSCAPE WITH COST-EFFECTIVE QUALITY SOLUTIONS
Since the inception in 2014, 31 Parallel, in its short yet stellar journey has established its unique mark in the BPM/BPO vertical. The brand was established by the co-founders, Vivek Parmar and Karan Pal Singh Chauhan who desired to speak loudly of their roots that were laid down in their home state of Himachal Pradesh. 31 Parallel refers to the 31 degrees north latitude that runs through Shimla, the capital of H.P. and the brand’s office. The company acts as a platform between the potential workforce and companies. 31 Parallel is an initiative to put Himachal on the ‘Indian Outsourcing Landscape’ combining entrepreneurship and social empowerment.
“Just as the latitude passes through Shimla also goes around the world, we acquire global processes and service them with local talent. This vision of acquiring work and developing/utilizing local workforce is augmented with a principle of providing high-quality outputs at low costs. This has been a game changer that has led to several long term partnerships.” shared the co-founders.
Having a strong connect with the hometown, the brand has been building a healthy and sustainable ecosystem in Shimla and its surrounding districts by combating unemployment, mainly among educated youth and women by employing local talents for valued processes.
The Business Model
The brand works with the basic requirements for the workforce listed in the advertisements and social media posts. Since a large percentage of the hiring is through its current employees’ reference, 31 parallel provides its team with regular internal orientation. The brand identifies its potential clients based on organizational capabilities and experience. The evident increase in reference-based connects through positive word of mouth showcases a successful business model.
Offering reasonable solutions, the brand’s growth is rapidly paced with its cost-effective pricing lower than the Tier I and Tier-II cities. 31 Parallel’s clientele can have 30% to 50% in cost savings being established in Shimla with cost of living lower than metros, the company passes on most of the savings to their clients. Despite labour arbitrage being an advantage, the brand has been constantly growing due to its high-quality outputs to clients.
Over the years, consumer behaviour has also shifted significantly due to technology amplification. Online resources and information have led to refined consumer behaviour along with telecommunication that helped in the sustainability of the businesses like 31 Parallel. The brands are shifting online to allow easier access to customers.
- Best of Both Worlds: Despite being located in a Tier III provincial capital, Shimla offers the advantages and infrastructure of a modern city along with the benefits of low attrition rates and other overhead costs.
- Excellent Communication Skills: Himachal Pradesh, with a large number of old and established English public schools offers the brand with people who can offer high-end services involving voice chat and emails, unlike its competitors.
- Seasoned Experts: The brand is capitalising the experienced supervisors and support staff who yearn to return to hills after working in the metro cities for better process efficiency and control leading to a high quality of outputs.
- Training: 31 Parallel’s strong 12 member general learning, development and product training team focuses on corporate etiquette, e-mail and phone etiquette, gender sensitization, process notes and mapping, and basic computer training.
- High-Quality Outputs – Due to a well-educated and committed workforce, the brand delivers stellar quality results and that helps in expanding its current client base. 31 Parallel also leads the quality metrics for queues running in multiple centres for its Clients.
- Delivering 24/7: Unlike most small-town businesses and similar to the bigger cities, the brand is currently running its processes 24×7.
- Locational Advantage: Due to their location, 31 Parallel has built in redundancy and operates with a reliable Optical Fiber network and unhindered bandwidth connectivity.
31 Parallel’s initial clientele in India and international companies who trusted the co-founders and took a chance are still working with the brand. The brand stood up to the expectations continuing its growth after the initial breakthrough. Creating a niche in travel and tourism space with 80% of its clientele are travel companies, 31 Parallel services the entire value chain in the travel and tourism space including Destination Management Companies (DMCs), Travel Management Companies (TMCs), Online Business to Business (B2B) and Business to Customers (B2C) travel companies.
Collaborating with its marquee clients including some of the biggest names in the Indian and foreign travel industry, India’s largest online travel portals, one of the world’s largest hotel chains, and hotel accommodation providers, the brand is still continuing to serve these progressive brands including big names in e-commerce, education, finance and accounting verticals.
Growing in Sync with Delivering Value
With the aim to deliver to the clients’ pain points, 31 Parallel works toward resolving them being in sync with the company’s ethos of transparency, flexibility, data integrity and an unwavering commitment. Since its inception, the brand has been aligned with its organizational growth plan and building partnerships and clientele to achieve its projected growth delivering services that add value to clients.
- “10 Best BPO Startups – 2016” by Siliconindia Magazine
- “Startup of the Year 2017: BPO Operations” by The CEO Magazine
- “Best Performer in Incubation – STPI Awards 2018”
- STPI Award 2018 for ‘Best Performer in Incubation’ at TiECon-2018 in Mohali
- “The 10 Most Trusted BPO Solution Provider Companies in India 2018” by Business Connect India
- “Top 50 Emerging Startups to watch in 2019” by Business Connect India
- “10 Best BPO Companies – 2019” by CEO Insights
Delivering its promises, 31 Parallel has emerged as a successful brand providing niche high-quality services in travel and tourism vertical along with multiple elements across the entire travel value chain. 31 Parallel has positioned itself in this unique position in a short duration and are being dubbed as outsourcing experts in the travel domain. Parallel 31 is expected to showcase accelerated growth in sync with its clear vision.
Corporate Social Responsibility
The brand has been strongly dedicating its efforts to improve the quality of life in the community it exists in. Since the foundation, 31 Parallel has undertaken several local community projects like sponsoring sports events, cleanliness drives, and assisting financially with the reconstruction of a local village.
It has supported the local governments’ initiative to run a toll-free helpline to curb drug abuse among the state’s youth, launched by the CM in 2019. Apart from delivering as an organization, the co-founders are quite active when it comes to highlighting other local issues and issues affecting Shimla’s image in national media.
As the brand tends to grow and achieve its goals, the co-founders share their views for the company 31 Parallel, while Karan strongly believes in ‘Local Talents for Global Processes’ as Vivek adds “We are All in this Together”.