Explore your Technical and Management Future with Northern India Engineering College, Delhi.
(Now known as Dr. Akhilesh Das Gupta Institute of Technology & Management)
Northern India Engineering College, New Delhi was established in the year 2003 by Babu Banarsi Das Educational Society. Late. Dr Akhilesh Das Gupta, an educationist, former Union Minister and philanthropist was the founder, chairman of this College. Northern India Engineering College (NIEC) which is one of the premier institutions in North India has been well known for its aesthetic designed campus. This institute will be shortly known as Dr. Akhilesh Das Gupta Institute of Technology & Management. The college is spread over a lush green campus of 8.08 acres along with three playgrounds located at Shastri Park, New Delhi. NIEC offers B. Tech in Civil Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Information Technology, Mechanical & Automation Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. Also, it offers Master of Business Administration and Bachelor of Business Administration. All the courses are approved by AICTE, and affiliated to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi. The institution is well – known for its distinctive contribution to society in research, learning and teaching process.
The college aims to attain global level of excellence in education and works hard to create the concept of sustainable and equitable society among the students. The college has a dedicated Training & Placement Cell that plans, organizes and coordinates the training & placement activities. All the students undergo rigorous training program both technical and aptitude so that they are trained to meet the challenges of the competitive environment. Over 85% of the eligible students are placed every year through the T & P Cell. Infosys has been one of the regular recruiters. However, the students of NIEC have been placed in various reputed companies and organizations including Google, Indian Army, IBM, Genpact, Sony, Audi, Tata Consultancy Services, Info edge, Birlasoft, HCL, Accenture, Oracle, Jaro Education, NEC Placement, Yamaha, Sofcon etc. The average package offered so far is Rs. 4.5 Lakh per annum and maximum package of Rs. 18 lakh was offered by Google. Last year 17 students were placed in Think & Learn Company, Bangalore with a whooping package of 09 Lakhs which was widely covered by the media.
Northern India Engineering College (NIEC) is affiliated to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi, approved by AICTE and Ministry of HRD, New Delhi. It is also accredited by National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC) and is ISO 9001:2008 and ENISO 14001:2004 certified. Mrs. Alka Das Gupta is the Hon’ble Chairperson of the BBD Group of Educational Society and also Hon’ble Chancellor, BBD University. Shri Viraj Sagar Das is the President of the Babu Banarsi Das Educational Society which runs the College.
The organization works with clear objective to provide quality Technical Education facilities to every student admitted to the College and facilitate the development of all round personality of the students. NIEC provides most competent staff and excellent support facilities. The college has well – equipped laboratories with virtual labs (in association with IIT Delhi & IIT Roorkee) and smart classrooms. Faculty members and students are encouraged to organize and participate in in-house and outside training programs, seminars, conferences and workshops. NIEC offers incentives and encouragement to motivate staff and students to actively involve in research-innovative projects in collaboration with industry and R & D centers. The students also get several opportunities to meet with famous personalities because the college invites eminent persons from industry from India and abroad for collaboration and promote industry-institute partnership. The Fee structure as per the recommendation of GGSIP University is strictly followed and management provides scholarship to meritorious students from economically weaker section. Every year the management honors the University Toppers with Babu Banarasi Das Award along with Certificate of Appreciation and Cash reward of Rs 21,000. Further, the students are given opportunity to get enrolled for scholarship from GGSIP University, State Government. and Central Government.
- Conferences, Seminars, Workshops organized regularly
- Guest Lectures by eminent personalities from Industry and Academia
- Group Discussions, Personality Development, Mock Interviews conducted to enhance the soft skills
- Aptitude tests well as technical training for placements
- Extra classes on regular basis
- Classrooms with audio visual facilities.
- Semester wise Industrial Visits to provide practical exposure.
- eLearning through NPTEL
- Financial assistance for Projects
- Student Chapters: IEEE, ISTE conducting programs on regular basis.
- Social service through NSS
- Over 1 Lakh books in College Library
- MoU’s with reputed organization for providing training& skill development programme
- Association with IIT’s (such as IIT Delhi, IIT Roorkee, IIT Bombay etc.)
Milestones of NIEC
- AICTE has signed a MOU with Stanford University, California, USA for improving the Quality of Engineering Education at the UG level in Engineering Institutions in India. NIEC has been selected to be a part of this Quality Improvement Program.
- College got a Sponsored Project titled “Hybrid Satellite Terrestrial Communication: Algorithm Design & Performance Analysis” for an amount of Rs.36.92 Lakh from Department of Science & Technology (DST) and got a consultancy from CPWD, Central Govt. to make a Structural Design.
- NIEC is the Nodal Centre of NITTTR, Chandigarh.
- Students have brought Laurel to College by winning a total of 19 Gold Medals in Academics since 2007 in GGSIP University Examination. In year 2017, Mahak Shah B.Tech (CSE), Kanan Mendiratta B.Tech (MAE) and Prayag Jain B.Tech (Civil) were awarded Gold Medals for their meritorious performance in GGSIP University examination.
Awards & Recognitions
- NIEC has been ranked 5th among the Ten best Engineering and Management Colleges in India by the CEO magazine
- College received “Outstanding Institution Award 2014” from NITTTR, Chandigarh (Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India)
- “Best Engineering Institute in Delhi” Award from Prime Time Research Pvt. Ltd. consecutively for 2 years(2013 &2014)
- NIEC has received “Best Institutions of Engineering from Delhi” Award from Indian Achievers Podium, Delhi. NIEC has also been included in the list of INDIA’s BEST – Engineering Institutes, 2012 published by Dalal Street.
- The students of NIEC have bagged Gold Medals at university level for their outstanding achievement in Academic, Cultural, Sports & other activities.
Spearheading the institute’s rapid growth at the current stage is chairperson of the BBD Group, Mrs. Alka Das. With extensive global experience across domains and education, she is a successful versatile education leader. In the lounge with Abhishek Dubey – Senior Editor, The CEO Magazine, she shares her vision of creating a transformation in the world of emerging professional education and making a difference to the lives of people globally.
What does your institute do to shape student character?
The organization works with clear objective to provide quality Technical Education facilities to every student admitted to the College and facilitate the development of all round personality of the students. Also, the college organizes various training programs, from second year to final year students in all disciplines, workshops, seminars for overall development of the student. The College provides a wide variety of co-curricular and extra-curricular activities which give a head-start to students, developing their personality and imparting skills of decision-making and leadership. Campus Placement Department assists student’s secure good jobs.
What is your future target? What is the greatest challenge?
The college aims to become the best engineering college in India. The greatest challenge is to meet colleges’ expenditure as the fee structure is being fixed by the state government. If permitted by GGSIP University, the college aims to open M. Tech courses.
How has your education and life experiences prepared you for this position?
The college aims to tackle problems of the day to day activities faced by the citizen by improvising on them through technical research development.
How strictly do you apply your findings to your own life?
The new technologies and innovative methodologies are adapted in the education system for the benefits of faculty staffs and students.
Is there any advice you would give to the younger version of you?
As the youth is the future of the country, we create an environment to take admission in our college and prove themselves as the best engineer around the globe. The talent should be diverted to technological social and economic development.