What is Digilocker? Know all about it Now
What is Digilocker? Know all about it Now
What is DigiLocker? In sync with the pace of the online procedures happening today and meeting the need for the quick yet reliant place to put the most important documents, there are many digital document wallet applications out there. How Digilocker is different from others? Well, it is a flagship initiative of Ministry of Electronics & IT (MeitY) under Digital India programme that supports ‘Digital Empowerment’ of the citizen by providing access to authentic digital documents to citizen’s digital document wallet.
IS IT OK TO PUT MY SCANNED DOCUMENTS OR DIGITAL FORMATS OF DOCUMENT ONLINE?
The cloud computing backed space has issued documents or e-documents issued by different government agencies directly from the original data source and the URI (link) in DigiLocker system are deemed to be at par with original physical documents as per Rule 9A of the Information Technology (Preservation and Retention of Information by Intermediaries Providing Digital Locker Facilities) Rules, 2016 notified on February 8, 2017, vide G.S.R. 711(E).
WHY SHOULD I OPT FOR DIGILOCKER?
Just like any other government initiative, this citizen-centric platform has many benefits for citizens as:
One can access their important documents anytime, anywhere.
They will be the authentic documents, legally at par with original as mentioned above.
While you can easily exchange the Digital document, it won’t happen without the consent of the citizen.
With Digilocker, there can be an assurance of faster service delivery regarding government benefits, employment, financial inclusion, education, health.
AGENCIES CAN ALSO AT BENEFIT. HOW?
Well, going digital means less paper usage, which will lead to reduced administrative overhead. The concept of paperless governance reduces the administrative overhead by minimizing the use of paper and curtailing the verification process.
“Digital Transformation”, the objective of Digital India scheme, will come true as the DigiLocker provides trusted issued documents fetched in real-time directly from the issuing agency.
A safe document gateway in times of rising digital data threat, DigiLocker acts as a secure document exchange platform like payment gateway between the trusted issuer and trusted Requester/Verifier with the consent of the citizen.
real-time verification module enables government agencies to verify data directly from issuers after obtaining user consent, makes it safe and efficient.
HOW TO USE DIGILOCKER/ HOW TO ADD VOTER ID IN DIGILOCKER
A platform for issuance and verification of documents & certificates in a digital way, eliminating the use of physical documents, DigiLocker works with the aim to paperless governance.
It comes into action as soon as an Indian citizen sign up for a DigiLocker account and gets a dedicated cloud storage space that is linked to their Aadhaar (UIDAI) number. After which, one can have their issued documents or e-documents uploaded and also added by the organizations that are registered with Digital Locker which can push electronic copies of documents and certificates (e.g. driving license, Voter ID, School certificates) directly into citizens lockers.
These legacy documents can be viewed with Uploaded Documents features and electronically signed using the eSign facility.
HOW TO LINK AADHAR TO DIGILOCKER?
Follow these easy steps:
- Search for DigiLcoker and visit website https://accounts.digitallocker.gov.in/signin or download the app http://onelink.to/gfyrxw Select Create Your DigiLocker Account
- Enter Your Aadhar Number in the given box
- You will receive an OTP on your mobile number linked to your Aadhar card
- Enter the OTP code in the given field and verify the OTP
- The Aadhar card will link to your DigiLocker account
IS DIGILOCKER SAFE?
Well, one cannot trust many websites and applications today as their source can be trustworthy, even government websites and applications are claimed to be a way to capture all the citizen’s data, so here are a number reasons which make DigiLocker is safe and secure to use. The list of security measures that have been implemented until now and will expand as more safety features get added includes:
- Standard Practices: DigiLocker follows standard software development practices of uniform coding standards, guidelines and reviews with each release being reviewed and tested internally for security and penetration vulnerabilities before getting deployed on the servers.
- It uses 256-bit secure socket layer (SSL) Encryption for information transmitted during any activity along with the mobile authentication based signup via OTP (one-time password) for authenticating users and allowing access to the platform.
- With Aadhaar Authentication based Issued Document Access which will be necessary to receive issued documents from registered issuers, that boosts the security as citizens need to authenticate themselves using Aadhaar’s Biometric or Mobile OTP authentication service, the application is also hosted in an ISO 27001 security certified data centre.
- Timed logout, a feature to protect citizen’s account from unauthorized access, the system is designed to terminate session automatically if extended inactivity is detected.
- DigiLocker is security audited by a recognized audit agency and the application security audit certificate has been obtained.
- User Consent-Based System is applied as the data from DigiLocker is shared only with the citizen’s explicit consent. The document sharing and access activities are logged and conveyed to the citizen and organizations that need access to citizens’ certificates need to register on DigiLocker and seek explicit consent from the citizen.