Why Security Services Are Essential In The Healthcare Sector?
The healthcare industry and security industry both deal with life and death situations very frequently. Healthcare institutions are one of the busiest places and work with terabytes of information daily. These institutions may have the same working as any other organization but their core activity is to save lives and treat their patients.
Healthcare industry aims at providing the best patient care and security is essential but it is not the core activity and hence the security service providers are essential for the healthcare organizations. Besides being a non-core activity there are various specific reasons to justify the need for a security service providers to enter the organization and help the hospital staff have a better, safer and efficient work environment, some of these reasons are:
- Overall Protection: The security services range from campus patrol to security escort programs. The service providers help and assist the organizations in various capacities to improve the security and safety for patients, staff, and visitors and increase the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the organization. A security service provider is not only managing many security personnel but is also tracking the employees, patients, and visitors to ensure complete safety and protection in every aspect of the institution.
- Tracking the Visitors: In healthcare institutes, the number of patients can be very extensive and for handling them it is essential a have a professional and organized system. A visitor can be a relative or a friend of the patient. Since there are a lot of new patients that are admitted in the hospital at any given point of time, it is essential to have a tracking system that can help trace any individual and the reason why he/she is in hospital. A complete tracking system for healthcare institutes will include health guards, alarm systems and security cameras to work together with several operators in the control room. Today the traditional tracking systems are being replaced with the technology backed systems including Artificial Intelligence.
- Maintaining Conduct: In a hospital or healthcare institute, there are certain necessary rules and regulations. From maintaining silence to ensuring crowd management, hospitals require the need to work according to the “code of conduct”. In case of emergencies like natural disasters and plague, there can be an unusual number of crowds in the premise and if left uncontrolled, it can lead to critical situations benefitting no one. The security service staffs play an essential role at this time in the organization in maintaining peace and harmony of the premise.
- To ensure fire safety: In a healthcare facility, there are a lot of chemicals and oxygen tanks available in-house, making the building a prime location for Fire threat. Various healthcare organizations have a certain set of protocol to be followed in case of Fire, to ensure the safe exit of all the patients, staff, and visitors. These institutes may have several high priority patients with asthma and severe heart problems and hence it is essential to not only evacuate everyone but also systematically to ensure the least loss to the patients’ health.
- The Data Security: Breaches and cyberattacks are on the rise when it comes to the healthcare industry leading to increased risk of patient data and their lives. Since all the systems in a healthcare institution are connected to a network or a server, it is essential to ensure that the data is protected and cannot be reached by the unauthorized people. Cyberattacks can impact patient care delivery, safety, and privacy. There are vast channels that are making the healthcare sector vulnerable. The need to protect patient data is critical and security is always on the high priority in various board discussions of the leading healthcare institutes.
Be it a physical threat or virtual threat, the healthcare industry is always in a situation where it requires a professional system to protect the safety of everyone inside the premises. Since the security service providers have an established amount of expertise, they are the best option to ensure optimum safety in the organization and effective operations.