Sigma Electric Manufacturing Corporation:engineering the future of ferrous and non-ferrous machined castings
Sigma Electric was founded in 1982, in New Orleans, LA, USA. It has ten state-of-the-art manufacturing units at Pune (India), Jaipur (India) and Juarez (Mexico) with primary focus on the metal casting process; consisting a wide range of materials like aluminum, zinc, copper, iron and steel for producing machined castings and components.Sigma headquarters, its technical center and an 180,000 sq. ft. distribution center are in North Carolina, USA. Sigma facilities include UL and CSA accredited labs, tool rooms with the state of the art technology and world-class engineering, innovation, and R&D center.
Area of Expertise
The company homes an outstanding special purpose machine design and development center that has the capability of high-end precision machining and sub-assembly. Sigma has an excellent global supply chain management system, enabling it to achieve consistent very high On-Time Delivery to all customers. These world-class facilities and the engineering expertise empower the company to offer design engineering support, design for manufacturing (DFM) solutions and Value Addition/Value Engineering projects to its customers. The firm now holds a leadership position in Electrical and Lighting, Home Appliances, Industrial and Process Instrumentation, Power Tools, and the Telecom market sectors. Sigma Electric stands as a global forerunner in manufacturing machined metal castings, precision machined components and sub-assemblies for multi-national firms in the electrical, power transmission and distribution and general industrial markets across the world. The firm provides end to end solutions to its customers and a complete range of services related to die-casting ranging from die-cast parts design and tool production to machining and finishing to assembly.
Sigma’s die casting solutions include: Pre-production of total project involvement that includes design services as well, it provides technical services like Simulation analysis, Rapid prototyping, and Custom die-cast tool design and Construction, Die-casting, CNC and Conventional Machining, Surface Finishing, Coatings, Plating, Assembly, Testing and Custom packaging of the products. Sigma’s comprehensive product portfolio remains among the broadest in the industry with over 10,000 SKUs, the majority of which are custom designed and highly engineered and operates a global supply chain that remains unparalleled in the industry- from world-class plants in India and North America to warehouse and tech center facilities in Garner, USA.
Emerging as a global leader
The firm owns a huge clientele which encompasses leaders from different sectors. Some prestigious names include Eaton, Honeywell, Hubbell, Lowes, Siemens, ABB, Whirlpool, Electrolux, Stanley Black Decker, Emerson, Poclain, Crompton Greaves, Commscope, and Phillips. Sigma has over 4000 employees and the firm’s culture is focused on –Profitable Growth, Excellent Customer Service, Outstanding Quality & Innovation, and Empowered People. The firm has created an environment of high execution, strong teamwork and developing world class facilities and practices.
- Sigma Electric has maintained Long term partnerships with their global customers,spreading back up to thirty years, which has helped cement Sigma’s leadership position
- Because of the comparative advantageof the US and global distribution capabilities , it provides an excellent service levels and high fulfillment rates for customers
- Sigma has created world class Engineering and Manufacturing capability to develop complex machined castings (tighter tolerances on porosity control, improved aesthetics, precision machining)
- The organization has best in class fill rate performance in excess of 97% over 10,000 SKUs
- It provides a one stop shop to customers for their casting requirements – in wide range of metals -zinc, aluminum, copper (bronze and brass, iron (malleable, ductile & grey) in both die castings and sand castings categories
- The group has capabilities to build in house special purpose CNC machines and world class high precision tool rooms (Pune and Jaipur) to build tools in house (dies for die casting and match-plates for sand casting enabling Sigma to provide customers with consistent and timely delivery of high quality products
- All Sigma facilities practice lean manufacturing (essential for waste mitigation without sacrificing the productivity) and are certified for the latest quality and environmental management systems
Awards & Recognitions
- Sigma Electric was awarded the CII – 5S excellence award 2017 for western region
- In 2017 the company was awarded MCCIA – Best Human Response Award
- The firm was awarded for its – Best HR Practices by National Institute for Personnel Management (NIPM) in 2017
- Sigma Electric was awarded CII – National 5S excellence award in 2017
- Manufacturing Today’s ‘Excellence in Operations Award’ for consecutively2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017, for Supply Chain Excellence in 2015 and 2017 and for Excellence in Human resources in 2015 and 2017
- Honeywell awarded Sigma Electrics for Best Supplier Growth Category Award 2015
- Thanks to its innovative supply chain process,Sigma Electric was awarded Supplier of the Year in 2015, 2016 by Legrand
- The Machinist’s awarded Sigma for Super Shop Floor Award in 2015 and for Sustainability Innovation Award in 2016
- Arranged for GEMBA visit to Kaizen Institute for clients in 2013 and 2014
- Sigma’s Jaipur facility was awarded IIF, 5S Excellence Award for 2014
- KIRLOSKAR OIL ENGINE LIMITED Supplier Quality Improvement Contest-2013
- It was awarded COOPER The Most Potential Supplier Award in 2009
- The Best Project Execution award in WHIRLPOOL Supply Partner Meet-2009
- Best Maintained Powder Coating Plant in 2009 by PRISIM COATING (P) LIMITED
- KIRLOSKAR OIL ENGINES awarded Sigma as Best Supplier Award in 2008 and 2009
Sigma plans to grow rapidly organically, expanding further the present product range and market segments. And grow inorganically through acquisitions with focus on new products, processes, customers, and geographies. The management wants to make Sigma a competitive global enterprise, focused on delivering excellent service to diverse customers worldwide. Sigma remains focused on Profitable Growth –which is expected from the firm’s organic & inorganic activities. Currently, they are building a new iron foundry at Jaipur and plans to set up a new aluminum die casting foundry at Pune. After the recent acquisition of Microcast, Mexico, an Aluminum die-cast business, the company is looking to make further acquisitions in North America, Europe & Asia.
President and CEO
A mechanical engineer and a management post-graduate from Bombay University has over 30 years of experience in leading engineering multinationals in India, Asia, MEA and Europe. He led Parker Hannifin to a leadership position in the fluid power market and set up its operations in India and South Asia. His wide experience in growing new businesses from Start-Up and management of rapid growth and performance has made him an Industry veteran. He also has wide experience in M&A and is a keen practitioner of practices like Lean Enterprise, Profitable Growth Strategy, Policy Deployment, Balanced Score Card and Talent Development. Viren was awarded a National Award from The President of India, for a paper on Alternate Sources of Energy. He is Chairman-CII,Pune Zonal Council, and was past Chairman/Vice Chairman of Confederation of Indian Industries (CII), Fluid Power division. He has attended global programs on Leadership, Change Management, Balanced Score-card, Talent Development, and Mergers & Acquisitions.