The Black-Coat Man Who Unleashed Unparalleled Legal Expertise in Law Industry With His Venture: Singh & Associates’ Founder Manoj K Singh
Manoj speaks with Pooja, Editor Associate at The CEO Magazine over his entrepreneurial venture, Singh & Associates and brings to light the journey and plans ahead of the firm.
Loud, voluble, never afraid of fights, given to seeking publicity, this is the textbook traits of an advocate as seen in Hindi films. Surprisingly, he doesn’t fit in the frame at all! In fact, he is a man of few words and a cheerful persona, a steal for when you are looking for an elite guidance for financial as well as commercial disputes and litigation. He is Manoj K Singh, the first generation and quintessential litigation & arbitration lawyer turned entrepreneur. He has crafted his years of sheer hard work and concentration into Singh & Associates, a pioneered full-service law firm. Following the theme of consistently doing good works and providing value for money, Singh & Associates has been in the law industry since 2002, running busy as a beaver and keeping itself low-lying, away from the charm of PR & advertising. The economic crisis of 2008-2009 witnessed the urge to save clients’ interests in finance and banking litigation.
STANDING OUT FROM THE CLUTTER
Singh & Associates’ practical solutions and domain expertise have turned out to be its USP today.
Singh & Associates understanding of clients’ problems and giving a practical, speedy and cost-effective solution is the key driving force behind the firm’s success. The vision was to give an apple for an apple; the right value for the money, and the firm strived hard. Manoj took over the initial challenges and searched out for the opportunities. There was a time in India when the conventional practice of law was restrained to the corridors of Indian courts only. Manoj observed need of the hour and recognized that economic reforms and liberalization were now to transform the outlook of Indian law practice. Recognized & ranked by international ranking legal directories such as Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners apart from being awarded as ‘Law Firm of Year’ at India Legal Awards 2016 among the Top Indian law firms, “Notable Firm” by Asia Legal Business M&A Rankings 2016, ‘Excellence in Professional Services’ by IACC, Singh & Associates possesses an admirable record of more than a decade in providing prompt, practical, cost-effective and customized solutions with multi-disciplinary inputs for varied sectors. The honest attempts and keeping the momentum up with the good work, the firm attracted its initial clients and this was enough to create a niche in the legal industry for Singh & Associates. Change might be slow in traditional professions like law, but it is nonetheless inevitable. Singh & Associates, an ISO 9001 certified full-service law firm provides a spectrum of legal services across a comprehensive range of practice areas that are critical to the business needs of the clients. The firm has an established reputation for rendering prompt and dependable legal services to its clients and is well known for its expertise in Litigation & Arbitration, Corporate & Commercial Laws, Foreign Investments, Contractual Obligations, Intellectual Property Rights, Real Estate & Infrastructure, Pharmaceutical Compliances, Taxation Laws, and Labor, Employment and Service Laws, etc. serving a colossal global clientele of varied verticals. With every day passing by, Singh & Associates is reaching out for new milestones. The firm, Singh & Associates has established its expertise in the spectrum of Commercial Arbitration, Commercial Litigation & Infrastructural practices. Every part of Singh & Associates’ practice is client-focused. At every level, the relationships the firm shares with clients remain strong and mutually beneficial.
Singh & Associates offers a cutting-edge blend of professional capabilities and technology that enables the firm to handle deals and cases of any size and complexity. The firm comprises of professionals that have the experience and know-how to negotiate and close the most intricate commercial deals and create value and success for its clients. Singh & Associates today is well positioned to understand & adapt to industry changes and meet the needs of its clients. The Firm has Four Practice Groups, namely Litigation and ADR Practice Group, Contracts and Transactions Practice Group, Corporate & Tax Practice Group and Intellectual Property Practice Group. The Practice Groups of the Firm provide services in some of the key practice areas, such as Commercial Litigation & Arbitration, Corporate and Commercial Laws, Foreign Investment Regulations, Insolvency & Bankruptcy, Securities Market, Company Secretarial Services, Investments in India, Intellectual Property Rights, Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Restructuring, Pharmaceutical and Drug Laws, Real Estate, Infrastructure & Energy Franchising, Labor & Employment, Land Acquisition, Shipping, Mining, Product Liability, Banking & Finance and much more.
MAPPING GEOGRAPHIES AND REACHING CLIENTS
Singh & Associates believes in building long-term relationships with clients; relationships which are based on trust and dedication, a promise to provide its clients with the highest levels of service. The clientele catered by Singh & Associates virtually covers all aspects of the industries, comprising of big conglomerates, infrastructure giants, international pharmaceutical corporations, manufacturing companies, multi modal transportation, service providers, telecommunications, F&B entities, agro-industry etc.
Manoj further adds, “Based on our experience we firmly believe that clients wish to minimize their involvement with the legal system”.
Singh & Associates enjoys pan India presence, with offices strategically situated in the major metropolitan cities; including Delhi, Mumbai, and Bangalore. The law firm is especially known to keep abreast with emerging technologies with vibrant ease, and in developing strategies to counter threats to potential violations with pro-active measures undertaken on behalf of clients. In addition to the standard package of legal and consultancy services to its clients, the firm takes an extra effort to keep the clients well-informed by providing customized updates on the changes in law, policies, regulations and/or procedures.”
THE CREDIT OF SINGH & ASSOCIATES’ SUCCESS: THE TEAM
The law firm strives to inject warmth into the legal process, maintain a collegial team atmosphere and provide its clients with a close, personal service. At Singh & Associates, the lawyers and legal assistants are specialists in their respective feilds enabling Singh & Associates to provide the best legal services and in-house advocacy. Besides having Lawyers; the firm also has Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, Patent Agents, Taxation Experts, Engineers, and Drugs Consultants on its rolls committed to providing exceptional legal counsel by making itself accessible, offering a clear and understandable roadmap to its clients’ complex legal issues, and delivering the highest value for the money spent. This team model also goes long way to make the working cost-effective which in turn makes it more economical for the clients. The clients have put their full trust in the law firm which serves as a driving force for Singh & Associates. With its multidisciplinary approach and the use of state-of-the-art technology, Singh & Associates creates efficient, effective customer-driven solutions accumulating seasoned experience from legal, legislative, economic specialists. Senior Members of the Firm have spoken at various domestic and international conferences and have presented several papers, articles, presentations etc. relating to their respective areas of practice. The firm has actively contributed in conducting of, and participating in debates, seminars, informative sessions and awareness programs to sensitize others on the importance and relevance of legal aspects.
MAN SPEARHEADING SINGH & ASSOCIATES
Manoj K Singh
“Well, the journey has been quite overwhelming. I am happy today and I don’t sign cheques in the office anymore!”
Manoj’s hard work, dedication, and journey so far is undoubtedly a career goal and an example to dream big and work hard towards attainment of one’s goals by keeping the true identity and simplicity rooted to the ground. They were the failures that inspired him to establish himself as an entrepreneur. In his words, “Failure is a guru who teaches you the best lessons in the worst manner. If you make an honest attempt to succeed, no one can stop you.” He has strived hard to nurture Singh & Associates, and in return, the firm has taken care of him. Conferences with Manoj are generally a relaxed affair. Also, because of his wide interests, you can talk to him about anything and have an engaging discussion.
Manoj is counted amongst India’s top 100 Legal Luminaries in India today. He has carved a niche for himself in the areas of Insolvency and Bankruptcy, Arbitration and Commercial Litigation with his outstanding ability to strategize and a 360 degree perspective of issues combined with an in-depth knowledge of the law. Mr. Manoj K Singh has made his mark in the legal community with his exemplary legal acumen and exceptional oratory sills. An aggressive litigator, in the words of Novartis India Country President, Jawed Zia, he brings about a marked difference in perspectives with his lateral thinking, attention to the smallest of details and ability to strategize on and give solutions for complex issues.
His Core Practice areas possess a broad experience in almost all areas of law. With many reported judgments under his belt, Manoj K Singh has been instrumental representing successfully and obtaining favorable and landmark judgments for and on behalf of his clients many times over. He has represented and obtained favorable awards for his clients in many arbitrations both domestic (adhoc and institutional) arbitrations and international arbitrations including at SIAC, LCIA, LMAA, and ICC.
RECENT NOTABLE MATTERS HANDLED BY SINGH & ASSOCIATES
- Successfully represented ERA Infra Engineering Limited, a large Indian Infrastructure Company in an international arbitration involving complex FX derivatives (the ISDA Master Agreement) before the LCIA.
- Successfully represented ERA Infra Engineering Limited, a large Indian Infrastructure Company against Adani Global Pte Limited in an international commercial arbitration before the SIAC.
- Successfully represented and settled the matter for and on behalf of Delhi Transco Ltd. (DTL) in an international arbitration before the Arbitral Tribunal for resolution of disputes through international commercial arbitration following the ICC Rules on arbitration.
- Successfully represented and settled the matter for and on behalf of our client Jindal ITF in an international commercial arbitration before the SIAC.
- Represented IRCON International (a Government of India Public Sector Undertaking Company) against a major infrastructure multi-national company in an international commercial arbitration before the ICC, Paris.
- At present Mr. Singh is contesting a large arbitration case for India’s waterways transportation company against NTPC. Infact Mr. Singh was able to seek interim award in the initial stage of the arbitration itself.
- He is also representing a listed infrastructure Company in an arbitration proceedings against NHAI and was successful in seeking an interim award at the initial stage of the arbitration itself which was later on upheld by Hon’ble High Court. The total arbitration claim is of INR 1200 Crore.
- Mr. Singh has in his kitty the success of winning a matter before Hon’ble National Green Tribunal and safeguarding the interest of a leading waste management company converting waste into energy who had invested more than INR 200 Crores in the business.
- As tough negotiator Mr. Singh on behalf of his client who is leading industrial boiler manufacturer negotiated the settlement with the client’s Indian Partner. In the settlement Mr. Singh was not only able to provide the client the cost of investment they have invested in the Indian Joint Venture Company but also restrained the Indian partner from using the technology which the client has contributed.
- Mr. Singh and his team of pharma lawyers are assisting one of the leading multinational pharmaceutical companies in its on-going dispute with a competitor relating to an investigation into parenteral use of excipients (inactive pharmaceutical ingredient). He is not only assisting the company in court but also helping them in strategizing the whole issue so that the ongoing legal battle should not affect the business and representing the client before the Hon’ble High Court of Delhi.
- Successfully represented M/s Era Infra Engineering Ltd (a Listed Company) in proceedings under Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
- Successfully represented a public limited company engaged in the business of export of Basmati Rice. The team on behalf of its client challenged the said notices before the Principal Bench, CESTAT, Chandigarh wherein vide order dated 22.09.2016 it was settled that de-husking of paddy into rice does not amount to manufacture and hence rice is not an excisable good. Thereafter, the Excise Department appealed before the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India, against the order of the Principal Bench, CESTAT, Chandigarh which was dismissed by the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India.
Major Milestones for the company
- ‘Excellence in Professional Services’ Award by Indo-American Chamber Of Commerce (IACC) 2017
- Tiered Law Firm for Energy & Infrastructure practice area by IFLR1000, 2018
- Recognized Law Firm for Banking and Finance practice area by IFLR1000, 2018
- Recognized Law Firm for Corporate and M&A practice area by IFLR1000, 2018
- A “Notable Firm” by Asia Legal Business M&A Rankings 2016
- Tiered Law Firm for Corporate and M&A, Dispute Resolution, IPR Practice, Labour & Employment, Tax practice by The Legal 500
- Recommended for Corporate and M&A practice by Chambers & Partners
- Winner of IP Excellence Award in India, 2016-17 and ranked in “Top 50” best law firm by Questel ORBIT, Europe
- In 2017, WTR1000 has recognized the firm as World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Mr. Manoj K. Singh and his Firm have won the innumerable number of awards and recognition. Few recent ones are:
- Recognized Law Firm by IFLR1000 for Financial & Corporate practice, 2015-2016
- Recognized Law Firm by IFLR1000 for Energy & Infrastructure practice, 2015
- India Business Law Journal Award for Corporate & Commercial category, 2013-2014
- Corporate Governance Law Firm of the Year by Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards, 2015
- National Law Day Award – 2013, by Indian National Bar Association (INBA) to Mr. Manoj K. Singh for his unique contribution to the field of Corporate Law and bringing India’s Corporate Law to International Standards
- 40 under 45 Young Lawyer Award 2013
- Arbitration Law Firm of the Year by Finance Monthly Awards, 2012
- Certificates of Appreciation from World Bank for contribution in its publications namely:
- “Doing Business – 2009 performing through difficult times in the year 2009”,
- “Making a difference in Entrepreneurs in 2010”
- “Doing Business in more Transparent world in 2011”,
- “Doing Business in a More Transparent World in 2012”,
- “Smarter Regulations for Small and Medium-Size Enterprises in 2013”,
- “Understanding Regulations for Small and Medium-Size Enterprises in 2014” and
- “Going Beyond Efficiency in 2015”.
PORTRAYING THE FUTURE
The Founding Partner, Manoj K. Singh’s vision of a technologically advanced, cost-effective firm providing the complete spectrum of comprehensive legal and allied services led him to start his own law firm – Singh & Associates, Advocates & Solicitors.
Solely due to his vision, sheer hard work, and perseverance the Firm which Manoj K Singh started in 2002 with humble beginnings is today one of the best law firms in the country. Even at the time I am told Mr Manoj K Singh was certain that Singh & Associates, is ahead of the avant garde (which today is of course the writing on the wall).
Interestingly enough he is not alone! The entire senior management of Singh & Associates consists of a passionate lot of lawyers, driven by Mr. Manoj K Singh’s vision and who proudly proclaim to be family allied with one another for more than a decade now.
Today, the firm has a sterling reputation and has grown to a 7-partner firm, 7 Principal Associates, in together comprising a team of 115 qualified lawyers and other professionals. Exponentially growing its services over the nation, Singh & Associates has started its 5th office in the country with its entrance in Gurugram recently. Successfully surfing on the waves, Singh & Associates aspires to be the most sought after law firm providing one stop solution to complex issues maintaining highest service standards.