WCE community of students, scholars, and alumni is changing the world.
Every industry and every area of society depends on the precise and efficient work of engineers. These guys provide technological solutions to the problems, issues and ideas that affect every area of our lives. And that is why there is a huge scope to make a career in engineering field. Students who are interested in engineering degrees and careers have a wealth of options to choose from.But how to Choose the Right Engineering College? Once an aspirant clears the JEE/CET, that student is assured of getting a good engineering college for further studies in India. Clearing JEE/CET is just a part of the process, the real task begins once you clear JEE/CET and decide on Engineering Courses. With the proliferation of engineering colleges in India, one needs to be prudent in the selection of engineering college for studies in India. A student must consider all the parameters before selection of an engineering college, as college leaves a lasting impression deep within an individual and plays a vital role in transforming him/her into an adult.
Studying in the best college is the key function to develop human learning skills and it is one of the chief ingredients in boosting your career. It is also considered as a stepping stone for building a career. There are many engineering colleges in India that are implementing the programs and principles all through the homeland that aid in trying to improve the informative attenuating factors. As this is a dynamic profession, it focuses on making the processes efficient, simple and innovative. While unique processes and technologies are developed at times, the fact is that applications for new evolutions are limitless. The course provides the choice and cooperation that no other career can match. Considering all the points, Walchand College of Engineering (WCE) Sangli has been one of the best choices for students who look an extensive career in the field of engineering.
Walchand College of Engineering (WCE) Sangli having an existence with pride for last sevendecades has been started as a first private Engineering College in the then Province of Bombay in
pre-independence era in June 1947. It started receiving Grant-in-Aid since 1977.
Walchand College of Engineering, (WCE) Sangli is one of the oldest and renowned technicalinstitutes in Maharashtra. This college was started as a “New Engineering College” in the year1947 by late Shri. Dhondumama Sathe. The College was renamed as “Walchand College ofEngineering” in 1955, after a substantial financial support extended by Seth WalchandHirachand Memorial Trust. The Management and Control of the college was transferred toAdministrative Council since 1956. The college now imparts education for AICTE recognized/approved diploma, degree, post graduate and Ph.D. courses in engineering.
The Autonomous Status has been awarded to the college by the Government of Maharashtra and
UGC in the year 2007. The Institute was selected for the World Bank funded Government ofIndia scheme, “TEQIP” (Technical Education Quality Improvement Program) Phase-I projectand college received second rank all over India, out of 127 national institutes, in its programimpact assessment survey in 2010. In TEQIP-I WCE received the funding of Rs.8.75 Crore forthe development of Undergraduate infrastructure. WCE is successfully continued its journey inTEQIP phase II in upgrading the Post graduate and Research infrastructure. WCE has receivedRs. 15.00 Crore to develop its postgraduate infrastructure. Now the Institute is selected forTEQIP-III wherein it will handhold and guide Government College fo Engineering, Jabalpur.
College is equipped with more than 1000 Computers, state of art software, 380 MBPS fullyfunctional (24X7) internet connectivity, and intranet with fiber optic backbone. In 2008-09 SethWHM Trust donated a New Library building named as Ajit Gulabchand Central (AGC) Librarywith more than 1,00,000 volumes, more than 1000 international e-Journals, plus Hard copyjournals (national and international), etc. This central Library is one of the Best Library in anyEngineering Colleges in Maharashtra State.
A few of its important chronological achievements in last few years are as follows:
1947- Established on: 23rd June 1947 by Late Shri Dhondumama Sathe as: New Engineering College, 3rd oldest engineering in Maharashtra (spread over 90 Acres of Land) after College ofEngineering, Pune (COEP), 1854; and VeermataJijabai Technological Institute (VJTI),Mumbai 1887.
1955- Name changed to: Walchand College of Engineering
1971- First in Shivaji University Kolhapur (SUK) to start PG and PhD programs and OnlyResearch Center in engineering till 2004
1977- Started 90% Grant in Aid from Government of Maharashtra
2003- Selected TEQIP Phase–I & II. Selected for TEQIP Phase-III, mentoring Government Collegeof Engineering, Jabalpur. 1st in SUK to get NBA for 5 UG Programs
2007- 1st Autonomous Institute in SUK.
2012- 1st in SUK to get NBA for 5 PG Programs
2014- UGC Extended the Autonomy till 2020
2016- NAAC Accreditation of ‘A’ Grade with 3.25 Score. 1st in SUK to get 5 years ofAccreditation for two Postgraduate Programmes. All UG programmes have been NBAAccredited three times while all PG Programmes are Accredited/Applied once.
Walchand Engineering College is spread over 90 Acres of Lush Green Land. Hostels and Messfacilities spread over 25 acres of land at east side of Green campus of WCE with intake capacityof 600 boys and 600 girl students. The infrastructure consists of 3 storied 10 hostel buildingswith two separate mess buildings, ample playgrounds and recreation facilities. The admissions inthe hostels are given on merit basis with reasonable fees by following reservation policy fordiploma, degree and post-graduate students as per the State Government norms. To keep friendlyenvironment and to avoid ragging, hostels are allocated on the basis of academic year of studentadmitted. At campus all modern amenities are facilitated like good drinking water, street lightson all walk ways, parking facility for students, gymnasium and all Indoor and Outdoor Sportsfacility for boys and girls separately. Additional facilities are also provided such as secured Wi-Fi facility with 155 MBPS internet speed with broadband internet hall for boys and girlsseparately in hostels; medical facility with daily visiting Doctor and a small cafe shop is at commonlocation with affordable rates. To meet requirement of lady student’s sanitary vending machineand allied equipment is also installed in ladies hostel premises.
With the advent of globalization and opening up of Indian economy to outside world,competition among industries has become stiff. The purpose of technical courses likeengineering is to enable the students’ to be industry-ready, by providing them knowledge andexposure to engineering processes and newer technologies. Thus, any reputed institution cannotignore a close and continuous interaction with industries.
At Walchand College of Engineering following initiatives and practices have been undertaken to
meet the above objectives:
- Having an advantage of being an autonomous institution, the college is keen on updating thecurriculum periodically in collaboration with industry experts. It also receive academic andcurriculum feedback from industries for framing industry based curriculum and syllabus.
- Interaction between faculty and industry experts in order to upgrade the faculty.
- To take up consultancy work in the form of analysis / diagnosis and solving issues using theexpertise of the faculty and students.
- To encourage the students and the faculty to visit a wide range of industries and technicalexhibitions to keep them informed of the technological and industrial processes.
- In-plant training and 2 months summer internship opportunities for T.Y. B-Tech students.
- 1 year sponsored project internship for M-Tech students.
- 4 to 5 months project internship for final year B.Tech. students during VIII Semester.
- Conducting industrial visits of students to various companies.
- Organizing guest lecturers of industry experts.
- Obtaining sponsored mini and major projects.
- Carrying out research, consultancy and testing to the industries.
- Organizing workshops, seminars by Industry Experts.
- Projects work in industries under joint guidance of the faculty and experts from industry.
- MoU between the Institute and industries to bring the both sides strategically closer.
- Short-term assignments for faculty members in industries.
- R&D Laboratories sponsored by industries at the Institute.
- Scholarships/fellowships instituted by industries at the Institute for students.
- Upgrading qualification by introducing short term courses for industry employees.
- Sponsorships for events which hone the technical and managerial skills of students.
- Providing sabbatical leave for the faculty who would like to upgrade their qualification inthetechnical domain.
Walchand College of Engineering, Sangli is having well qualified and dedicated faculty with anaptitude for research. Large number of WCE faculty members is alumni of Walchand College.The rate of attrition is negligibly small. Most of the faculty members, once they join the institute,will get separated from the institute only after retirement. There is healthy competition amongthe faculty members to write research publications and also to get research Funding.
Few Achievements and Milestones
- National Assessment and accreditation Council (NAAC) committee visited WCE from 17-19th March 2016. WCE awarded ‘A’ grade (for 5 yrs) by NAAC with 3.25 score out of 4.
- National Board of Accreditation (NBA) Committee visited Walchand College in 2016and Accredited Five UG and Five PG Programs. B.Tech. Civil Engineering andM.Tech. Structural Engineering and Information Technology have received Accreditationfor (5 years). The WCE has now applied to NBA for remaining Programmes.
- Walchand College has Received World Bank Funding under Technical Education QualityImprovement Program (TEQIP) in two Phases: TEQIP Phase-I (2004-08) completed –Grant ofRs. 8.65 Crore to improve the UG infrastructure. And TEQIP Phase-II (2012-16)under progress – Grant of Rs.15.00 Crore to improve the PG and research infrastructure.Now WCE, Sangli is also selected for TEQIP-III. In addition to this WCE faculty hasreceived the funding of Rs. 3.77 Crore in last five years through various researchproposals from AICTE, DST, MPCB, DRDO, BRNS, etc.
- AICTE sanctioned Rs.43 Lakh for the proposal on “Learning Factory” submitted by thecollege. Also Rs. 12.5 Lakh is received every year from RGSTC under TIFAC scheme for the secondphase. Under this students receive stipends of Rs. 5000/- pm for internship and Rs.10000/- pm for doing 6-month final year innovative project at MSME.
- IIT Bombay has selected WCE Sangli as Nodal Centre of Virtual Labs for MHRDInitiative. Experiments can be carried out at IITs, from WCE, Sangli, under this programthrough modeling, simulation and Remote Triggered labs.
Thus, Walchand College of Engineering, Sangli enjoys high reputation, Good infrastructure, facilities, large Green campus. It is a Preferred choice for students. It has Qualified and dedicated facultyandGood Alumni network. WCE has goodPotential for Future Development.